Sunday, May 6, 2012

Unwind, A review


Unwind, Unwind, what can I say about this book. Well the premise is a little bit of the roof. Picture a world where children between the ages of thirteen and eighteen are legally signed over by their guardians to be put through a harvest program where their organs are harvested so that others can make use of them. SAD.

It was a bit slow at the beginning, but once I got into it, I was hooked. 

The novel is basically about three teenagers who are getting prepared to be harvested or unwound as it is called in the book. They are organs would be harvested to those who need them, but the problem is that need is not a good word to describe this, because for example in this book, I can decided to get new eyes or what not just because I dislike the color of my original eyes, you get what I mean.

So these three teenagers are Connor, who is a headache, a typical problem child. His parents are perturbed by his demeanor so they decide to donate him for the harvesting program. In a bid to escape he meets Risa, a state ward who is being given up because of lack of money for upkeep, and Lev who is being given up by his parents as a sacrificial lamb unto God.

Connor and Risa are bent on remaining alive till their eighteen birthday at least so that they can be officially protected by the lam, while Lev on the other hand is torn between turning them in, and doing what he thinks is his main goal in life to have his body sacrificed to God.

I enjoyed the book, in the sense that all the characters were relatable and well thought up, however there were just some things that I found a bit unrealistic.

I know this is a book of fiction, but at times I think there is a bit of truth in fiction. For example, the decision unwind Connor. I doubt any parent could do that to a kid they’ve trained and nurtured for years, especially when that kid has a brother. I just felt the idea of unwinding, though it was cool, was not plausible enough. I say so because there was just no good reason to make up for the decision the parents made.

The back stories of the other characters were sufficient enough though, I can understand why a state would give up a child they have no relations with to make up for costs, and I can also understand why two parents getting a divorce would want to dispose of their kids rather than endure the drama that comes with separation.
Since I read the Hunger Games, I’ve been reading and enjoying dystopian novels recently. 

Another thing I found that wasn’t done well was his portrayal of future America; I felt it wasn’t fully fleshed out.

This book is enough to make anyone think and evaluate their life and how it affects those around them, especially the kids. An enjoyable read, I give it 3.5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't leave without saying hello.