Friday, December 9, 2011

A love rekindled by Myne Whitman


I really don’t like books with titles that summarize what it’s about. I love to imagine and think what the hell does this title mean or something, you get me. 

That is why if I had never known this author I would have never picked up this book to read because I’m really not all that into contemporary love stories. 

However, I gave it a shot and even though it was quite slow at some points, it was quite an enjoyable read.
As is obvious from the title, it is a story about young love that was extinguished, and then re-ignited.

 Efe is a young student who got involved with Kevwe another student, due to circumstances they were separated over a couple of years, then by chance during a business meeting, Kevwe’s twin brother Ofure and Efe meet, which then leads to her meeting Kevwe. 

Naturally, when the two love birds meet, there is an awkward moment before both of them realize they still have feelings for each other, and try to work out things.


Cliché right?


Well yes, but the way it was showcased, when you add the ethnic backgrounds and details, what with the bitter rivalry between the two tribes, it was nicely done, and really cool. I could relate with almost every one of the characters. Not that I have experienced any long lost love thingy or something, but I just had an idea where all of them were coming from.


I read in a review somewhere that there was a problem with vocabulary but I didn’t see any problem. Yeah a few errors were noticed, but aside that really cool.


What I think the author should have done, to make it more universal was probably to add a footnote or something about the explanations of the Nigerian slangs and stuff, you get me.

So now that we’re clear, let’s talk about the things I liked and did not like in the book.

It was really simple, and maybe a bit too long.
The flashbacks upset me just a little.
I loved the setting in Nigeria.
I love the Nigerian Lingo, because I understand it very well.
In as much as her characters were relatable, I fear that they might be easily forgotten.

All in all, once you get past the slow points of this book, you will quickly read the remainder in very little time which is a good thing in books. 

I always try my best not to give out spoilers in my reviews so there. I hope this was helpful.

Now go over to her blog and say hi... http://www.mynewhitmanwrites.com

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the review, it gives me some perspective as I continue to write. I'll appreciate an interview like you suggested, I love being interactive with my readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. than k you too for writing such a book, and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Don't leave without saying hello.